Thursday, June 26, 2014

The Infinite Strength of Compassion

            Caregivers often say that they wish they could switch places with the victims. They often feel like there is not enough they can do to really help the victim of a Traumatic Brain Injury, they feel as if all their effort is for naught. Conversely, I am at times thankful that the accident happened to me and not my wife. I couldn't bear to see her with a brain injury and I know I would be tormented by the desire to have had it happen to me and not her.
            So that is the attitude I take. I choose to believe that this accident was meant for her and I said, "No, let it be me." Immediately the question of why this happened to me is clear. Rather than feeling sorry for myself, I stand proud and strong. No longer am I the victim of a terrible fate; shouldering a burden that I shouldn't have to. I have metaphysically lifted the heavy load carried by another and made it my own. I have found the infinite strength of compassion.
            Another, perhaps better way to think of this, is not to imagine a single person you know, rather think of the probability of somebody getting a brain injury. There are going to be a certain amount of brain injuries suffered by a certain amount of people. It has to happen to somebody. Am I so cavalier as to say it should have happened to someone else? Of course not! As terrible as brain injury is, I would never wish it on another. So if I were to wish it didn't happen to me, it would be like I am wishing it had happened to someone else.

            My wish has come true. Someone was going to suffer a brain injury and I said, "No, let it be me."

No comments:

Post a Comment